Wednesday, November 3, 2010

And the Pursuit of Happiness

For those of you who are feeling downhearted today, I recommend the best possible medicine.  Get yourself to a boostore, a real bookstore, and buy a real book.  I recommend Maira Kalman's AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS, a warm, tough, witty, insightful, simply luminous graphic reflection on American history, democracy, and things of beauty.  The things of beauty include the Supreme Court, Monticello, Susan B. Anthony and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  If you like Matisse, you will love Kalman's illustrations.  Every page brims with wisdom and vivacity.  The biggest problem with this book is that with every page you read, you'll never get to read that page again.

But then, I am reading AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS very very slowly.  And when I get done, I think I'll read it again.

Be strong, everybody.

No comments:

Post a Comment